I find myself toting a lot of baby stuff around lately. I try to be a minimalist, but babies seem to need so many things. I made a divided basket (pattern from Noodlehead here) to hold all of Ethan’s diaper changing supplies.
Not only does it corral all the diapers, wipes, creams, etc in one place, but it lets me tote everything around with one hand. This is so convenient. We spend most of the day on the ground floor and Ethan sleeps in our second floor bedroom at night, so we have two different diaper changing areas. Instead of maintaining separate stacks of wipes and diapers in each changing area, I just bring the basket upstairs and downstairs with me. There’s room in the basket to throw an extra outfit and swaddle in for nights, too. I’m so glad I made this!
These adorable kimonos are from Heather Ross’ Weekend Sewing book. They are so quick! And also so teeny! Here’s Ethan in a kimono a few weeks ago, when he was around 8 lbs. The kimono fit him with a couple inches of positive ease.
Here’s Ethan in a kimono now, when he’s 10.5 lbs and working on growing a second chin. He won’t be wearing these kimonos for much longer!
Even though they don’t fit for long, these kimonos are well worth the effort. They took me less than an hour to make, and I think they are really easy to put on babies – there are no tight sleeves or cuffs for tiny fingers to get stuck in.
A small finish this week- a quilted ticker tape pillow for our sofa.
I used a gluestick to glue all the scraps in place, then I straight-line quilted the pillow front. The scraps started to fray immediately, so I quilted close to the edge of each little scrap. The fraying has slowed down considerably now.
It felt good to use up little scraps in this project, but now my impulse to save scraps is even stronger. I find myself saving teeny bits of fabric that weeks ago I would have trashed without hesitation. ::sigh::
Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts finish it up Friday
Did you know this is a big year for Moomin? It’s the 100th anniversary of Moomin’s creator, Tove Jannson. To celebrate, the American Swedish Institute has a Moomin exhibit on display. Isaac was happy to see the exhibit and pose with Moomin!
Sublime Stitching recently released a bunch of Moomin patterns. I ordered one right away. I stitched a Moomin on Isaac’s plain Poang IKEA chair. It wasn’t too difficult to embroider. I used 4 strands of DMC embroidery floss. It took some practice to get used to not pulling the needle through to the back side of the fabric – I had to take little bites of fabric with the needle, being careful not to catch the foam inside the headrest.
The only trouble I had with this project was transferring the pattern to the chair. The cover is made of 100% cotton – I checked the tag – so I had my iron set to the highest setting. I ironed the transfer for about 7 seconds, and when I pulled the iron away it had scorched the fabric. Ugh! This is the first time I have scorched a project with my iron. Luckily, I was able to use hydrogen peroxide, cold water, and a little bit of soap to remove the scorch marks. No trace of them now!
Last week I successfully finished a paper piecing project. It’s the teapot from Sew Ichigo’s Kitchen Classics pattern, and it’s a replacement for the failed paper piecing project I posted about last month.
I’m much happier with this finished mini than I was with the last one (before I washed it), so perhaps it’s a good thing I ruined the previous one. I used a batik for the background, and assorted scraps from my stash for the teapot. The binding is a Mona Luna print that coordinates nicely with the flower print. I used matchstick quilting for the first time, and I love how it turned out.
Way back in January, the Minneapolis Modern Quilt guild started a mystery quilt-a-long. My talented friend Kristin is designing the mystery quilt and posting instructions each month. I ordered my background fabric, Robert Kaufmann quilter’s linen in stone, way back in January but that’s as far as I got for a long, long time.
Earlier this summer I pulled fabric from my stash for the quilt – olive greens, pinks, aquas and chartreuse. In June and July I cut all the pieces out for months 1-7. In August I finally started piecing the blocks.
I have a LOT of olive and chartreuse scraps in my stash!
For month 4, I didn’t have big enough olive scraps, so aqua was the dominant color.
I bought a yard of this pink, olive and chartreuse fabric years ago because it was on sale and I loved it. I used it for a stuffed toy but had trouble incorporating it into quilts… until now.
These little windmill blocks are super cute and not that difficult! I want to make a lot more of these. The most time consuming part is cutting all the pieces (with templates). About halfway through I was ready to research die-cutting options… I’ve been eyeing the Accuquilts at JoAnn’s for a while.